A Vanished Past, Horley Oxfordshire a glimpse of the village and people. Vol.2.
This photograph on the front cover of the view from Plot Hill is by the late Iliffe Cozens
- People continued from Volume 1: Morgan to Young
- The Who’s Who of Lane Close 100
- Looked after children 102
- Travellers 106
- Above and below the surface 109
- Homes and gardens 115
- Families and their Animals 137
- Getting About 153
- Shopping, Services and Utilities 179
- Language and Superstition 211
The late; Mrs Gladys Barcock, Honor (Morgan) Berry, Mrs Florrie Dunwoody, Miss Joan Pearson, Mr Robert Pearson, Mrs Mary (Astell) Riley, Mr Eric Turner
A- Edward Allington, Eileen (Barcock) Alexander
B – Carol (Dunwoody) Baker, Alice (Saunders) Bowmaker for allowing free range of John Saunders’ photographs, Maureen (Eeles) Banks, Ann (Saunders) Barrett, Roy Bayliss, Mrs Kathleen Betteridge for information and photographs of the Maybury family, Mrs Harry Bishop, Jane (Tustian) Blake of Hanwell, Christopher Blythe and Richard Blythe, Betty (Hirons) Burns and her daughter Marolyn Burns
C – Mary (Bayliss) Callow, Gwenda Cliff (for information about the Roylance family), Charles Cozens and Eleanor Cozens
D – Barry Dunwoody
G- Reg and Elizabeth Green, William Griffin for material about the Bagnall family, William Gunn
H – Stanley and Wendy Hamer, Peter Hart of Hornton, Pat (Shawyer) Hassan-Jan, Doreen (Green) Hemmings, Victor and Joy Hillman, Shân (Morgan) Hoy, Mrs Dorothy Humphris for material about the Viggers and Hamer family.
J – Mary (Hemmings) Jarvis, Alison (Jelfs) Intravia, Hazel (Jelfs) Collaby, Martyn Jelfs, Jane (Kay) Jones
K – Channy Kennard for material about the Maul family
M – Anthony Meadows
O – Stephen Oliver for material about the Howe and Oliver family
P – Mike Patching, Hugh and Anna Pearson, John Plumbe for Allington photographs, Monica (Simmonds) Powell, Anthony Pratt
R – Rose (Kettle) Rawlings, Joan Robinson
S – Mrs Barbara Standish, Brian Standish, Mrs Stanley, David Stanley, Roger Sumner
T – Daphne (Bullock) Thomas, Susan (Wright) Thompson, Linda (Rose) Twistleton
U – Christine Upton for material about Horley Children’s Home
W – Phillipa (Varney) Walker
V – Timothy Varney
- Mrs Audrey Turner custodian of the two Women’s Institute Scrapbooks of 1965 and 1985.
- The Trustees of the Michael Hardinge Trust, for some of the school photographs
- Clive Wrench and the Horley Cricket Club
- Daniel Batchelor for permission to use photographs of the Hornton Quarries
- David Seccull for permission to use photographs from Wroxton, The Village and its People in Photographs. 1993. Out of print.
- Richard Milward for permission to use Richard R Jones’ watercolour of Horley.
- The Oxfordshire County Council
- The Banbury Museum
- The Rector of the Ironstone Benefices and Horley PCC
Clare Marchant, June 2015
They are available directly from Clare , Shaftesbury House, 15 Circus Street, Greenwich, London SE10 8SN or marchantclare@hotmail or call on 020 8858 8529. Cheques payable to Clare Marchant.
Clare Marchant was born in Horley Vicarage, Oxfordshire in 1941 and spent her formative years there until 1965. She now lives in Greenwich, London
First published in 2015. All rights reserved. The rights of Clare Marchant to be identified as author of this work has been asserted in accordance with the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988. No part of this publication may be reproduced without the consent of © Clare Marchant. Copyright for each image rests with the contributor.