St Etheldreda’s Church has six bells, four of which date back to 1706. These original four bells were cast by the local foundry Bagley’s of Chacombe. However they became unsafe to ring in the 1980s after the frame was damaged by water from some leaky guttering.
In 2012, a project was initiated in the village to raise funds to restore the bells and to add two new bells. This was very generously supported by the village and over £80,000 was raised from local donations and grants.
Restoration work started in 2013 when the old bells were removed; repairs to the frame were carried out over the Winter and two new bells were cast by Taylor’s of Loughborough in November 2013. The new six bells were rung for the first time in February 2014. A dedication service for the new bells was held in June 2014 led by the Right Reverend the Bishop of Dorchester.
The bells are in the key of Ab major and are rung from the ground floor in the chancel.
We have an enthusiastic band of ringers from Horley and surrounding villages who practice on Saturday mornings and who ring for weddings and notable services in the Church.
If anyone is interested in learning to ring, please get in touch (email: email@example.com) – we would love to have more people in the village who can ring.
More details of the restoration project are on the Horley Bell Tower page on Facebook
Alison Tite (Tower Secretary)